Let’s face facts. If you have a hormonal imbalance, you feel it. You might not realize the cause until you see the best testosterone doctor in Chevy Chase, Maryland, but you definitely know there is a problem!
So, what are the symptoms of a hormonal imbalance? How are testosterone conditions diagnosed? What are your treatment options? How do you even find the best testosterone doctor? Consider this your go-to expert guide to answer all these questions and more.
If I Have Low Or High Testosterone, What Symptoms Would I Experience?
Most patients don’t realize that low or too high testosterone levels affect both men and women. While symptoms can vary by age, some of the most commonly shared symptoms of low testosterone include depression, low sex drive, trouble with memory, and decreased strength.
On the flip side, it’s also possible for men and women to have too much testosterone. You should be checked if you experience any of the following symptoms, including but not limited to acne, excess facial and / or body hair, unexplained weight gain, or anxiety / depression.
How Is Low Testosterone Diagnosed?
Your testosterone doctor will first discuss your medical history, your symptoms, and how long you’ve experienced them. They will then perform a physical exam and order a blood test to check your hormone levels.
What Are High / Low Testosterone Treatment Options?
The best testosterone doctor in Chevy Chase, Maryland first evaluates all information before recommending a course of treatment. Of course, the goal is to regulate and maintain normal testosterone levels, so be patient.
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to testosterone therapy, as every patient is treated as an individual. The dosage and delivery method is given based on your specific needs. This is especially true for women.
For anyone with low testosterone, also commonly referred to as low T, studies have shown that bioidentical testosterone therapy is the most beneficial treatment option. Because taking testosterone orally is unsafe, doctors administered bioidentical hormones via pellets, creams, or injections.
No matter your course of treatment, you can expect to be monitored closely to make sure testosterone therapy is working for you.
How Do I Find the Right Testosterone Doctor for Me?
When looking for the best testosterone doctor, it comes down to doing careful research. Don’t assume they are all the same. Use the following four tips on what to look for to find the best one for you:
- Specialization in hormone therapy: Any doctor can administer hormones, but not all specialize in hormone therapy. Make sure your testosterone doctor does. They should understand this type of therapy for both men and women of any age.
- Wide range of treatment options and resources at their disposal: This includes labs for testing, up-to-date technology, a broad scope of treatments, partnerships with high-end compounding pharmacies / pharmacists, and the latest studies and research on hormone therapy.
- Integrative approach to health: What you do not want is a testosterone doctor who prescribes treatment and then leaves you on your own to figure it all out. Your testosterone doctor should take into consideration your overall wellbeing. This includes your lifestyle, fitness, and nutrition.
- Individualized attention: As previously mentioned, testosterone therapy isn’t one universal treatment that works for everyone. Your unique needs matter, not just medically but from a supportive avenue as well.
You shouldn’t feel rushed during appointments, your needs should be heard and understood, you should be educated on your treatment, and you need to be given time to ask questions.
I Don’t Even Know What Questions to Ask! How Do I Prepare for an Appointment With My Testosterone Doctor?
This can be a bit of an overwhelming experience because you’ll be discussing personal matters. So, begin your visit with the knowledge that your doctor is not there to judge but to help you. They’ve seen and heard it all!
It makes filling out forms easier if you already know important dates as they relate to your medical history – last doctor appointment, previous hormone therapies, surgeries, and other helpful information. Have a list of all medication, supplements, and vitamins you’re taking as well.
Before you arrive at your appointment, write down the questions you want to ask. Here are some questions to get you started:
- What has caused my testosterone levels to become too low / too high?
- Are there side effects or risks associated with testosterone therapy?
- How long will it take for me to feel better?
- What happens if I stop testosterone therapy?
- How often do I need follow-up visits?
- Will I need more tests?
- How can / should I modify my lifestyle to help with my treatment?
If allowed, it’s also a good idea to take someone you trust with you to your appointment. That way, you’ve got a second set of ears listening for important information you need to remember.
End Your Search Today With the Best Testosterone Doctor in Chevy Chase, Maryland Right Here at Atlantis Medical Wellness & Weight Loss!
Dr. Benjamin González, better known as Dr. G, leads our team with the belief that all patients deserve the highest quality, comprehensive, and personalized care. Our goal is to optimize your health and transform your life for the better.
If you suspect you have a hormonal imbalance and are interested in our treatment options, we invite you to give us a call at 301-658-7686 to schedule your consultation. We’re excited to meet you and help you live your best life through wellness services!